Preserve the Natural Algarve
PROBAAL is working to neutralise the threat of a proposed solar power plant of 83 megawatts on ecological land in the Cerro do Leiria area of the Eastern Algarve in Portugal.
As of 18th May 2023, this project is in the PUBLIC CONSULTATION phase.
Although the project is named CENTRAL FOTOVOLTAICA ESTOI, the location of the panels is proposed to be near to Cerro do Leiria, Tavira.
Please join us during this period of 42 days, during which anyone has the right to register their opinion or concerns about the solar power plant proposal.
Register as a user on the Portal Participa website and submit your contribution.
Make your voice heard until 30th June 2023 by clicking on the link below.
The more individual participations in the PUBLIC CONSULTATION, the more impact we can have on the process.
Please take a few minutes online to stand up for nature in this community.
HOW TO REGISTER EXPLAINED BELOW
STEP ONE – Register for public consultation
1. Go to – https://participa.pt
2. Click on ‘Registro’ in the top right-hand corner.
3. Click on ‘Individual’. (Or ‘Coletivo’ if you are submitting on behalf of a group).
4. Fill in you name, (where it says ‘Nome’), your email address and choose a password (minimum 12 character but no need for capital letters, numbers or special characters), confirm your password.
5. In the following box, marked ‘Concelho’ – choose ‘Tavira’.
6. Go to the bottom left corner and check the box that starts ‘Concordo….’
7. No need to fill in anything else on that page; just click ‘Submeter’ in the bottom right corner.
8. Close down the page.
9. The Portal Participa website will send you and email straight away. Open it and click on the highlighted ‘Activação de registo’ link.
10. This will open www.participa.pt again, but DON’T use it. Close the link.
STEP TW0 – File a participation
11. Paste https://participa.pt/pt/consulta/central-solar-fotovoltaica-de-estoi
– Into the web browser and open up the Portal Participa website.
12. Click on ‘Login’, in the the right-hand corner.
13. Fill in your email address and password and click ‘Entrar’
14. Click on ‘Participar’.
15. On the right-hand side click ‘Classificador’ and then choose ‘Discordância’.
16. Write, (or copy and paste) your commentary in the large box. There is plenty of space to say what you want.
17. If you wish to attach supporting images or documents, you can add them below the commentary box.
18. Click ‘Submeter’ in the bottom right-hand corner.
19. That’s it, done! And many, many thanks for taking time to stand up for nature and the future generations to come.
THANK YOU . THANK YOU . THANK YOU
For guidance about how to write your submission:
THE ISSUE HERE
The future of our water, soil and biodiversity is at risk and PROBAAL believes that a ‘have now, pay later’ attitude to the environment, is exactly why the planet is in its current ecological predicament.
Environmental studies demonstrate the ecological and water values of this area and we assert that this land is of greatest value in its intact state and should not be destroyed in the name of big energy.
We must work to be ‘green’ in action and not only in name.
BACK STORY: In February 2021, residents of Cerro do Leiria in Faro district, discovered plans to build a 154 hectare solar power plant on the wild and beautiful Barrocal land and PROBAAL was moved to action.
PROBAAL – Pró Barrocal Algarvio – is a grass-roots environmental association based in the East Algarve region of Southern Portugal which has a particular concern regarding environmental issues in this locality.